Western Digital My Passport 2TB Price
- Product Name
Western Digital WDBY8L0020BBK
Western Digital My Passport 2TB Review
The Western Digital 2TB My Passport is a compact and portable hard drive that features USB 3.0 connectivity for fast data transfer and bus powering, which means that it doesn’t require a separate power cable in order to operate. It’s compatible with Mac and PC computers (reformatting is required for use with a Mac), and its USB 3.0 jack is backward compatible with any USB 2.0 port.
The My Passport only weighs half a pound (0.23 kg), and it’s built durably to withstand the knocks and bumps of daily life. In essence, it’s a very small device that offers a vast amount of storage space and one of the fastest data transfer ports available. If you need extra storage to handle your digital photos, music, videos and any other personal or business related documents and data, this unassuming little hard drive is a really compelling option.
Measuring .82 by 3.24 by 4.37 inches, the My Passport is, roughly the size of a passport, but a bit thicker than an average passport. At a scant .49 pound, you can easily toss it into your bag without adding any noticeable heft.
The My Passport takes most of its design cues from the Western Digital My Passport Studio (2TB), it feels appreciably sturdy in the hand thanks to its compact size and smooth rounded edges. Its plastic chassis sports a pleasing smooth matte finish on its edges and underside that contrast nicely with the dotted pattern that adorns the lid. An embossed WD logo on the lid is noticeable but doesn't detract from the drive's aesthetic.
On the bottom of the case, the user will find four small, black rubber feet to keep the drive from slipping off a table or desk. The model and serial number is on the bottom of the drive as well. There's only one port on the drive, a Micro-USB 3.0 port that can be used with the 1.5-foot USB cable included with the device.
Power for the device is provided through USB and data can be transferred via USB 2.0 speeds as well if the port on the computer isn't USB 3.0 capable yet. When the drive is connected to the computer, the user will notice a LED activity light shine when the device is active.
There's nothing to setting up the My Passport when used with a Windows computer. The drive is preformatted in NTFS; all you need to do is plug it into a computer and it's ready to be used. If you want to use it with a Mac, you'll need to reformat it into HFS+ before you can write to it.
The drive is preloaded with WD Utilities and WD Security for both OS X and Windows. The former is for monitoring the drive's condition, reformatting it, and so on, and with the latter you can turn the drive's security features on or off. Note that once the security feature is turned on, if you forget the password, there's no way you can access the data on it.
For Windows, the My Passport also comes with WD Backup, making backing up data a very easy and intuitive job. You can choose to back up folders and files, or it can automatically back up important data, which is very useful for those who aren't as computer-savvy. Unfortunately, the backup software doesn't include a scheduler; however, you can set it to work automatically when the computer is idle.
The My Passport, though not the fastest, offered very fast performance.
When used with USB 3.0, it scored 83MBps for writing and 101MBps for reading, which is above average among USB 3.0-based external hard drives. When used with USB 2.0, which is still the most popular peripheral connection type, the drive's performance, as expected, was lowered to 28MBps and 33MBps for writing and reading, respectively. These speeds were about average among all USB 2.0-based drives tested.
Overall, the Western Digital 2TB My Passport offers great performance in an extremely small package. Its huge storage capacity, small and portable profile, and USB 3.0 speed should make it an appealing buy. It's an excellent solution for anyone seeking more portable storage or simply looking for a way to transfer large amounts of data extremely quickly.
- LaCie Rugged Mini USB 3.0 4TB LaCie
- Seagate BackUp Plus Desktop V2 5TB Seagate
- Samsung SSD Portable T1 1TB MU-PS1T0B Samsung
- Seagate BackUp Plus Portable 4TB STDR4000300 Seagate
- Western Digital My Passport Wireless Pro 1TB WDBK8Z0010BBK Western Digital
- Western Digital My Passport Wireless 2TB WDBDAF0020BBK Western Digital
- Seagate Backup Plus Hub 4TB STEL4000100 Seagate
- LaCie Porsche Design P'9233 USB 3.0 8TB LaCie
- LaCie Rugged RAID 4TB LaCie
- Seagate Expansion Portable 4TB USB 3.0 STEA4000400 Seagate
- LaCie Porsche Design Desktop Drive 4TB STFE4000300 LaCie
- LaCie Porsche Design P'9230 USB 3.0 4TB LaCie
- The Western Digital My Passport 2TB is manufactured by Western Digital and was added in December 2014 in the External HDD section
- This product has a rating of 4.5 out of 5
- The best price of the Western Digital My Passport 2TB in Australia is $175.00 at ausid memory
- In Australia this product is available in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
- You can find this product at ausid memory
- Western Digital WD Elements 4TB Western Digital
- Western Digital My Passport Ultra 4TB Western Digital
- Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB Western Digital
- Western Digital WD My Book 6TB Western Digital
- Western Digital My Passport for Mac 1TB USB 3.0 Western Digital
- Western Digital WD Elements 2TB Western Digital